Thread: I am thinking like a Bills Front Office guy

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I am thinking like a Bills Front Office guy

Here is what I am channelling seeing that we are pretty much down to talking about next year's offseason. Do i have this right?

My best attempt to be a member of the Bills front Office:

what this team really needs with it's first round pick is a 3rd down back who can return a kick or two. That is priority A for this team. Priority B, if we can find an undersized Defensive player and use our talented coaches to put him in a position to succeed, most likely in a position that he isn't familiar with, then we have to jump on the guy.

Imagine getting a high priced running back and a white linebacker from a small school with a truly forgettable name like Danny Adams or Adam Denis! He will be wearing a forgettable number like 49 struggling to keep up with TE's in a division with 3 very good TEs. Man, this team is just so close.

Then we hit the free agency market. Perferabbly a guy who likes to party. We want to show people that Buffalo is a vibrant town. Get some good shots of the city on a C-tier cable channel. Maybe throw in a mayor shot. Give that player an inflated contract, show the nfl that this team isn't a bunch of cheap skates. Then, find a couple guys who are back ups on bad teams, offer them a starting gig at meaningless positions like QB, LT, OLB and CB. Then we are really pushing for a championship.

Before i go any further, l have to get back to renewing this toronto series that has proved to be successful for the city of buffalo, toronto, the fans of the Bills. I'm just sorry that our great owner had to sacrifice by accepting $78MM in cash. I don't know how he'll feel about getting that again.

How'd I do? Miss anything?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: I am thinking like a Bills Front Office guy

Sounds about right Mr. Nix, well done.

short bus extraordinaire SABURZFAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus
    Here is what I am channelling seeing that we are pretty much down to talking about next year's offseason. Do i have this right?

what this team really needs with it's first round pick is a 3rd down back who can return a kick or two. That is priority A for this team. Priority B, if we can find an undersized Defensive player and use our talented coaches to put him in a position to succeed, most likely in a position that he isn't familiar with, then we have to jump on the guy.

Imagine getting a high priced running back and a white linebacker from a small school with a truly forgettable name like Danny Adams or Adam Denis! He will be wearing a forgettable number like 49 struggling to keep up with TE's in a division with 3 very good TEs. Man, this team is just so close.

Then we hit the free agency market. Perferabbly a guy who likes to party. We want to show people that Buffalo is a vibrant town. Get some good shots of the city on a C-tier cable channel. Maybe throw in a mayor shot. Give that player an inflated contract, show the nfl that this team isn't a bunch of cheap skates. Then, find a couple guys who are back ups on bad teams, offer them a starting gig at meaningless positions like QB, LT, OLB and CB. Then we are really pushing for a championship.

Before i go any further, l have to get back to renewing this toronto series that has proved to be successful for the city of buffalo, toronto, the fans of the Bills. I'm just sorry that our great owner had to sacrifice by accepting $78MM in cash. I don't know how he'll feel about getting that again.

that was terrible. that 1st rounder needs to be utilized to replace Moorman or Lindell. THAT'S how you think like a Bills front office guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

hmmm, my front office hat is telling me that i really shouldn't worry about our special teams. it's only age and injuries that effect their performance thus far. i think we can milk them for another 5 years.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills' front office guys can think?
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think another priority would be to pick up a 320 lb. DL and convert him to an outside linebacker and teach him how to pick up backs coming out of the backfield. And maybe a CB who can run a 5.0 forty and convert him to a lnebacker also, or maybe, a safety. Real challenges for our staff.

No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds. zone's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What I have seen from Spiller this year is not a 3rd down back that can return a kick or 2. He is avg 4.7 yards a carry which would be much higher if his 50 yard TD run didn't get taken away on a bogus holding call last week. Not to mention playing wide receiver and having 20+ catches.

The more CJ touches the ball, the more people will see what he is really all about.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,934 Times in 3,556 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think we need to convert Andy Levitre to DT. He mastered the O-line already, why not give him a shot on defense?

Thanks
    Thanked 30,670 Times in 17,517 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by zone
    What I have seen from Spiller this year is not a 3rd down back that can return a kick or 2. He is avg 4.7 yards a carry which would be much higher if his 50 yard TD run didn't get taken away on a bogus holding call last week. Not to mention playing wide receiver and having 20+ catches.

The more CJ touches the ball, the more people will see what he is really all about.
    Who said Buddy didn't post here?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Here is what I am channelling
    If you are a true Bills Front Office Guy, you are channeling the guy other teams would never pick in that given round of the draft.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,401 Times in 13,787 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You did forget one thing: the best player on the team is either a FA or wants a new contract, and you have to let him walk or trade him because he is asking for the market rate for a star player at his respective position. When the fans complain, remind them that the player wanted too much money and it would hurt the rest of the team.

Then, sign another team's back-up or a UDFA as his replacement and pocket the savings rather than using it to sign/extend someone else.

Remember, this FO spent the last 10 years brainwashing the fans to think that paying players is ALWAYS bad for a reason!
    Last edited by OpIv37; 12-09-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

my goal as BB FO is to be able to field a ST unit entirely made up of kick returners. WE've got 4 right now. There are seven more to fill and oddly enough 7 draft rounds. Ooooo, daddy's going to be happy in april!

OP, you were kind of right. I will get into a pissing battle over money with someone like Stevie Johnson. how dare he ask for $7MM a year. We will let him go. We will get ruvell Martin's third cousin for $7.2MM half way into 2012. Stevie johnson will be upping his production, RM's cousin will be IR'd by week 10.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,996 Times in 3,529 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sarcasm is so awesome

Thanks
    Thanked 2,557 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Also, you need to come up with a offseason gimmick to sell tickets, a la signing Terrell Owens or changing uniforms.
    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And nothing like a a good uniform change to boost revenue when merchandise sales start to dwindle.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Sell Local Ralph
    Sarcasm is so awesome
    is this sarcastic?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Welcome to the Zone Bumbling Buddy Nix!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

What about signing the washed up veteran who was a pro bowler 5 years ago?