Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NFL exec: Vikes 'out of options'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 944 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

NFL exec: Vikes 'out of options'

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/78...ns-stadium-bid

Two days after a Minnesota House committee voted against the Vikings' stadium bill, the NFL responded with its own strong message to state leaders: Get it done or face the consequences.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told Gov. Mark Dayton on Wednesday there will be "serious consequences" for both the league and the Vikings if the bill isn't passed, according to a Pioneer Press report.

And with the state's legislative session likely to wrap up in the next two weeks, Dayton said Tuesday that resolving the stadium issue, which has lingered for about a decade, would probably have to wait until 2013.

But the Vikings, who don't have a stadium lease, said Tuesday that next year isn't an option and a league executive said Wednesday the team and its ownership are "out of options" after Monday night's vote.
    Exhibit A on why a new stadium for the Bills would be a better alternative than a renovation, tied to a ten year lease.

-Bill

Registered User Extremebillsfan247's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: NFL exec: Vikes 'out of options'

Quote Originally Posted by BLeonard
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/78...ns-stadium-bid

Exhibit A on why a new stadium for the Bills would be a better alternative than a renovation, tied to a ten year lease.

-Bill
    Are you ok with having to purchase a seat license just to be able to buy season tickets? That's exactly what would happen if the Bills got a new stadium. You could also expect single game day ticket prices to rise significantly, as well as prices at the concession stands, not to leave out the tax payers who will have to foot a pretty extensive bill.

For someone like me it doesn't matter, I'm out of state. But for those who attend games on a regular basis, this could be a big problem. Selling out a new stadium wont be a picnic from a franchise marketing point of view either. New stadiums sound great, but could also turn into financial disasters, not only for the team playing in them, but for the city that they are built in also. That's something to keep in mind. As the old saying goes, "Be careful of what you wish for". JMO
    Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 04-19-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Extremebillsfan247
    Are you ok with having to purchase a seat license just to be able to buy season tickets? That's exactly what would happen if the Bills got a new stadium. You could also expect single game day ticket prices to rise significantly, as well as prices at the concession stands, not to leave out the tax payers who will have to foot a pretty extensive bill.

For someone like me it doesn't matter, I'm out of state. But for those who attend games on a regular basis, this could be a big problem. Selling out a new stadium wont be a picnic from a franchise marketing point of view either. New stadiums sound great, but could also turn into financial disasters, not only for the team playing in them, but for the city that they are built in also. That's something to keep in mind. JMO
    Well, I'm out of state also, but here's my thoughts:

Whether any of us like it or not, the NFL (and sports in general) seem to be heading in this "PSL/Billion Dollar Stadium" direction. As I've said many times in various threads, a renovation of RWS is only a temporary (10-15 year) solution. While renovating the stadium would suffice for the time being, there's going to come a point where:

A: They are going to have done all of the "renovating and upgrading" possible with the current structure, making anew stadium necessary.

B: The new owner (after Ralph) is going to want a new stadium as a condition for keeping the team in Buffalo.

So, the way I see it, sooner or later, NYS and Erie County are going to have to pony up for a new stadium, or the team will be moved. Look at what's going on in Minnesota. Look at what's going on with the Raiders and Chargers. Hell, look at what's going on with the Sacremento Kings.

Pro sports (especially the NFL) are multi-billion dollar businesses. In order to keep that business in town, eventually, you're gonna have to put some real cash up to do it.

-Bill

Registered User Extremebillsfan247's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Whether any of us like it or not, the NFL (and sports in general) seem to be heading in this "PSL/Billion Dollar Stadium" direction. As I've said many times in various threads, a renovation of RWS is only a temporary (10-15 year) solution. While renovating the stadium would suffice for the time being, there's going to come a point where:

A: They are going to have done all of the "renovating and upgrading" possible with the current structure, making anew stadium necessary.

B: The new owner (after Ralph) is going to want a new stadium as a condition for keeping the team in Buffalo.

So, the way I see it, sooner or later, NYS and Erie County are going to have to pony up for a new stadium, or the team will be moved. Look at what's going on in Minnesota. Look at what's going on with the Raiders and Chargers. Hell, look at what's going on with the Sacremento Kings.

Pro sports (especially the NFL) are multi-billion dollar businesses. In order to keep that business in town, eventually, you're gonna have to put some real cash up to do it.

-Bill
    I see what your getting at, and I think your right that eventually the Bills will be forced into PSLs anyway. But, 10 to 15 years down the road, local Bills fans may be ready for it. The number of Canadians buying Bills season tickets is on a significant rise. The longer they stick around in Toronto, the bigger that fan base will get.

If they do build a stadium, location will be extremely important to the success of the franchise. The Bills are going to have to remain a regionalized team in order to continue to be relevant in the NFL. That's this team's only saving grace in my opinion. But it's a good one, and why I think this team is safe, for now.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,215 Times in 3,684 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If its not your money, F-yeah. If you're paying it, maybe. We need our entire area to have easy access to a stadium, Orchard Park is out of the way for most of them. We could pull in E. NY money & Toronto money, the torontonians already spend all kinds of money on the weekend. It's pretty short-sighted to not give them over the border access with amazing new shopping near Niagara Falls or Downtown, otherwise we're limited by geography.

The whole plan is to intergrate the whole area, in case you missed those T.O. games.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

-Bill
    People can't afford seat licenses bro.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And there is 0% chance of one at this time. Why even mention it?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR
    Then, chances are, the team will be moved eventually... They can't play in RWS forever.

Unless, of course, the economics of sports change and selling PSL's just stops. I just don't see that happening.

-Bill

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And there is 0% chance of one at this time. Why even mention it?
    It's worth mentioning because this will now be the 2nd $200 million plus renovation done to RWS. So, since 1998, NYS and Erie county will have paid $400 million to renovate a stadium that cost $22 million ($115 mil in 2012 dollars) to build.

How much more money should be put into the building before someone says "Hey, with the cost of all these renovations, we could have had a new stadium." It's kinda like asking yourself "How many times should I replace the transmission in my car, before I just buy a new car?"

Another factor is that there is going to be a point where you're not getting the best value by again renovating a 40 plus year old stadium. Look atthe situation in Minnesota... The NFL is basically saying that the Metrodome is not an adequate facility for an NFL team... And the Metrodome is 10 years younger than RWS.

I'm not saying the Bills NEED a new stadium RIGHT NOW. What I AM saying is, a renovation is gonna buy 10 years, 15 max, before we're on this message board discussing the same thing again.

If there is a new owner for the Bills by then, they could very well tie the team's future in Buffalo to getting a new stadium. If WNY and NYS doesn't want to pony up the kind of money that it takes to have a team that competes in a multi billion dollar business, then I'm sure there are other cities out there that will.

-Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 5,941 Times in 3,561 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's worth mentioning because this will now be the 2nd $200 million plus renovation done to RWS. So, since 1998, NYS and Erie county will have paid $400 million to renovate a stadium that cost $22 million ($115 mil in 2012 dollars) to build.

How much more money should be put into the building before someone says "Hey, with the cost of all these renovations, we could have had a new stadium." It's kinda like asking yourself "How many times should I replace the transmission in my car, before I just buy a new car?"

Another factor is that there is going to be a point where you're not getting the best value by again renovating a 40 plus year old stadium. Look atthe situation in Minnesota... The NFL is basically saying that the Metrodome is not an adequate facility for an NFL team... And the Metrodome is 10 years younger than RWS.

I'm not saying the Bills NEED a new stadium RIGHT NOW. What I AM saying is, a renovation is gonna buy 10 years, 15 max, before we're on this message board discussing the same thing again.

If there is a new owner for the Bills by then, they could very well tie the team's future in Buffalo to getting a new stadium. If WNY and NYS doesn't want to pony up the kind of money that it takes to have a team that competes in a multi billion dollar business, then I'm sure there are other cities out there that will.

-Bill
    Well thank Jesus for RWS not having a vinyl roof that is supported by air pressure!

Veteran Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The irony is if they'd ponied up the money 10years ago, Buffalo would have got a new shiny retractable roof stadium for $350m.

I don't see why a downtown stadium necessarily stops the team being a regional team.

1) Look at what happened with the Pontiac Silverdome. It was a hated, unloved stadium in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes it does work as in the case of the Gillette but not always and do we have a name change to the Western New York Bills?

2) Downtown does not mean tailgating nor parking - especially if the stadium is built in and around the Buffalo Skyway and the Niagara Thruway. Improve access around the Kensington Expressway for access from Rochester.

3) Use the lure of a new stadium as a development catalyst. For example Buffalo is (was) part of the Empire Corridor, a federally designated high speed rail corridor. Say to the State and the Fed Govt - "we've got a new stadium, a massive push to develop downtown, help us redevelop the gloriously designed but abandoned Buffalo Central Terminal as a hub for this service which can also bring fans in".

When you see the Olympics, the stadium is often a catalyst for both further public but also unrelated private investment in the immediate local area.

You can get substantial money support from sponsors even in these difficult times, but a multi-purpose stadium gives much more use that Buffalo as a city could provide in terms of major conferences, political conventions, NCAA Bowl games etc all of which would show that Buffalo still exists.

Or in 6-10years time the issue of PSLs will be irrelevant because if you want to see a home game, you'll be transiting through O'Hare on the way to LA.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe the greedy NFL should stop thinking every ticket in the stadium needs to be at least $200 a game.

Veteran Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

http://929jackfm.com/files/2012/04/D...waterfront.jpg

or

http://929jackfm.com/files/2012/04/B...o-downtwon.jpg

Courtsey of WYRK.com showing what a stadium on the waterfront down town might look like by the Buffalo Skyway, 1.5 miles South of the First Niagara Center
    Last edited by Blacksheep71; 04-20-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Everything I post is sexual inuendo ddaryl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

then the Bills will have to be moved.

Bottom line new ownership alone is going to see a massive up tick in ticket prices.. and a new owner is going to want a new stadium soon after buying.

Ralph's days are numbered and I expect the headline to pop up any day now.

Best to have a new stadium plan in motion, because no matter how you debate it, reality dictates that it is a necessity for the longevity of the franchise in Buffalo. There is no way to avoid this discussion and the band-aids will stop working soon.

AND A WATERFRONT STADIUM IS THE WORST IDEA FOR THIS AREA.

traffic will be a nightmare on route 5, the weather off the lake will make the parking lots unbearable.
    Last edited by ddaryl; 04-20-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksheep71
    The irony is if they'd ponied up the money 10years ago, Buffalo would have got a new shiny retractable roof stadium for $350m.

I don't see why a downtown stadium necessarily stops the team being a regional team.

1) Look at what happened with the Pontiac Silverdome. It was a hated, unloved stadium in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes it does work as in the case of the Gillette but not always and do we have a name change to the Western New York Bills?

2) Downtown does not mean tailgating nor parking - especially if the stadium is built in and around the Buffalo Skyway and the Niagara Thruway. Improve access around the Kensington Expressway for access from Rochester.

3) Use the lure of a new stadium as a development catalyst. For example Buffalo is (was) part of the Empire Corridor, a federally designated high speed rail corridor. Say to the State and the Fed Govt - "we've got a new stadium, a massive push to develop downtown, help us redevelop the gloriously designed but abandoned Buffalo Central Terminal as a hub for this service which can also bring fans in".

When you see the Olympics, the stadium is often a catalyst for both further public but also unrelated private investment in the immediate local area.

You can get substantial money support from sponsors even in these difficult times, but a multi-purpose stadium gives much more use that Buffalo as a city could provide in terms of major conferences, political conventions, NCAA Bowl games etc all of which would show that Buffalo still exists.

Or in 6-10years time the issue of PSLs will be irrelevant because if you want to see a home game, you'll be transiting through O'Hare on the way to LA.
    Name me one benefit to putting a Stadium downtown other than to benefit the City of Buffalo. It makes much more sense to move it between Buffalo & Rochester so fans from Rochester & Canada can get there faster & it should not take much if any longer for people from Buffalo to get there & no, the name does not need to be changed, the team can still be called the Buffalo Bills.

Veteran Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days
    Name me one benefit to putting a Stadium downtown other than to benefit the City of Buffalo. It makes much more sense to move it between Buffalo & Rochester so fans from Rochester & Canada can get there faster & it should not take much if any longer for people from Buffalo to get there & no, the name does not need to be changed, the team can still be called the Buffalo Bills.
    If you build the stadium and regenerate down town it may along with many other steps might turn the population shift away from Buffalo.

There are suggestions that having moved to Santa Clara, the 49ers may not be able to call themselves San Francisco.

However I agree to a certain extent and an alternative location might be around Akron.

But more often than not, out of town stadiums have not proven successful and ultimately the teams have moved back to a more central location

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Then, chances are, the team will be moved eventually... They can't play in RWS forever.

Unless, of course, the economics of sports change and selling PSL's just stops. I just don't see that happening.

-Bill
    Ok cool then. What do you want from us?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksheep71
    If you build the stadium and regenerate down town it may along with many other steps might turn the population shift away from Buffalo.

There are suggestions that having moved to Santa Clara, the 49ers may not be able to call themselves San Francisco.

However I agree to a certain extent and an alternative location might be around Akron.

But more often than not, out of town stadiums have not proven successful and ultimately the teams have moved back to a more central location
    How is a stadium that is used like 10 times a year going to generate anything to the city other than huge debts?

Concerts are going to go to the First Niagara center.

There aren't many tours that sell out stadiums anymore.

What kind of conference needs a huge stadium?

Lets be serious people. Seriously upgrade the Ralph get a new iron clad 10 to 15 year lease signed and hopefully during that time ownership changes hands to someone more apt to keep the team in Buffalo. Then at that time yes a new stadium is needed.

I feel like you people are living in some kind of dreamland.

Trust me I would pay PSL's if I had to as well. The whole idea of a new stadium is a fairytale.

Veteran Zoner
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

and with all of these types of structures, there are always upgrades to the surrounding infrastructure. Those objections are merely excuses.

Will not tolerate vandalism. Johnny Bugmenot's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The plot thickens...

On the same day Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf's private plane was spotted at a Southern California airport Thursday comes this little nugget: NFL commissioner Roger Goodell recently met privately in Los Angeles with Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa to talk about, among other things, the NFL relocating to Los Angeles.

The connection: The Vikings were dealt a major blow to their stadium efforts in Minnesota this week when the House Government Operations and Elections committee rejected by a 9-6 vote a proposal for a $975 million plan to raze and rebuild the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in downtown Minneapolis.

The state now has 10 more days to either revive the bill and get a stadium deal passed or risk losing the Vikings, who intimated they will not wait until 2013 to finalize a new stadium plan in Minneapolis.

"There is no next year," Vikings vice president Lester Bagley said.
    http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_204...wner-zigi-wilf