Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back still a bother for Bills DT Torell Troup

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Back still a bother for Bills DT Torell Troup

PITTSFORD, N.Y. (AP) -- The tears won't come until later, because Torell Troup initially does his best to keep his emotions in check, discussing how far he's come after having season-ending back surgery.

''I feel it's progressed pretty well,'' the Buffalo Bills defensive tackle said.

What Troup says in his next breath is more revealing, by sharing how much pain he's been in since December, when doctors fused two discs to repair a spinal fracture.

''I've been in constant pain for eight months,'' Troup said. ''I didn't think it was going to be so hard, but it is. So I've got to deal with it.''

The pain has become so constant and his rehabilitation going so slowly that Troup is now second-guessing why he had the operation in the first place - even though his doctors recommended it was necessary.

''I honestly wish I could go back and I wouldn't have had surgery,'' Troup said. ''If I could go back, yeah, I probably wouldn't have wanted to deal with this. It's just a lot.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/back-st...7232--nfl.html

sorry to say it but hes probably done like a dinner

im pretty sure his pain was in his lumbar region, and if a fusion is still hurting him that bad then its likely never going to get better. they offered me that surgery and after doing some research i declined because the success rate is so low. it starts out at only 50% (!) in the first couple years, then about 30% after five, and an abysmal 7% after ten. if it doesnt work right away (three months recovery just to work at a desk job) then its unlikely to ever work out

tough break
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Back still a bother for Bills DT Torell Troup

He needs to be cut. Time for the Bills to cut their losses.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think he made improvements but with his back hindering him all the time it's time to move on. I like heard as a back up DT

Thanks
    Thanked 30,662 Times in 17,512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Still think he might get IR'd before outright released, but they do have enough DT's that they can afford to cut him.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bust. Next in line...
    The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Ended up being a wasted pick.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Injury settlements and future endeavor best wishes coming for Troup & McGee.

Everything I post is sexual inuendo ddaryl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think IR is a possibility, but he is obviously not playing this year.. maybe never

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Don't try to outthink the room.
    Usually the best and smartest pick is the obvious one sitting right in front of you.
    Cody over Troup.
    This pick still had Modrak's mitts all over it even though Nix had just arrived imo.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,395 Times in 13,783 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was about to give the FO the benefit of the doubt on this pick because injuries are unpredictable, but I forgot Cody was still on the board.

Our drafting seems to be improving, but the 2010 draft is going to go down as an epic fail.

1 9 C.J. Spiller RB Clemson- showed flashes last year, could still turn out to be a good pick.
    2 41 Torell Troup DT UCF- Bust- hampered by injuries
    3 72 Alex Carrington DE Arkansas State- Done nothing so far
    4 107 Marcus Easley WR Connecticut- Done nothing so far
    5 140 Ed Wang OT Virginia Tech- Cut
    6 178 Arthur Moats DE James Madison- Could be a starter
    6 192 Danny Batten DE South Dakota State- Could be a back-up
    7 209 Levi Brown QB Troy- Cut
    7 216 Kyle Calloway OT Iowa- Cut

So far, Spiller and Moats are the only ones who have contributed. The jury is still out on Carrington and Batten but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I was about to give the FO the benefit of the doubt on this pick because injuries are unpredictable, but I forgot Cody was still on the board.

Our drafting seems to be improving, but the 2010 draft is going to go down as an epic fail.

1 9 C.J. Spiller RB Clemson- showed flashes last year, could still turn out to be a good pick.
    2 41 Torell Troup DT UCF- Bust- hampered by injuries
    3 72 Alex Carrington DE Arkansas State- Done nothing so far
    4 107 Marcus Easley WR Connecticut- Done nothing so far
    5 140 Ed Wang OT Virginia Tech- Cut
    6 178 Arthur Moats DE James Madison- Could be a starter
    6 192 Danny Batten DE South Dakota State- Could be a back-up
    7 209 Levi Brown QB Troy- Cut
    7 216 Kyle Calloway OT Iowa- Cut

So far, Spiller and Moats are the only ones who have contributed. The jury is still out on Carrington and Batten but I'm not holding my breath.
    Well, Moats looks like he may be a starting OLB. Easley if not the #2 should at least see playing time this year. Carrington may become a good backup. CJ is the prize of that draft & looks like he could be a great player for this team. The Bills have had many drafts that were an epic fail, this draft is not one of them.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How can this 2010 draft NOT be considered an epic fail ?????

They reached for every player except maybe Moats who looks nothing more then an average run of the mill NFL lb.

Batten's not making this team. Easley and Carrington will barely hang on, Maybe.

Troup at best get's ir'd for the year.

Spiller has talent but is a rb and was overdrafted at #9.

This draft sucked.

Everything I post is sexual inuendo ddaryl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

the 2010 draft was the last draft before Nix made some big changes to the scouting department.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010...ontinues-front

Given the history of poor drafts prior to 2010 and that the 2011 and 2012 drafts appear tighter on paper.. Hopefully these 2010 types of drafts are in our rear view mirror

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by k-oneputt View Post
    How can this 2010 draft NOT be considered an epic fail ?????

They reached for every player except maybe Moats who looks nothing more then an average run of the mill NFL lb.

Batten's not making this team. Easley and Carrington will barely hang on, Maybe.

Troup at best get's ir'd for the year.

Spiller has talent but is a rb and was overdrafted at #9.

This draft sucked.
    Any draft that hits on its 1st round pick is not to be considered an "epic bust." Who cares what position CJ Spiller was picked at? Almost all teams need more than 1 capable running back (unless you're New England or Green Bay). And besides, Fred Jackson isn't gonna play forever.

With that being said, any reasonable NFL fan will give a player up to 3 years post-draft to be evaluated. I think Spiller will be a special player. Troup could have been good if it weren't for his back injury, so I don't blame Buddy Nix for that one (Troup's career is likely over now)...

Alex Carrington and Marcus Easley deserve this year to showcase their talents. Carrington (at this point) seems like a career back-up, and Easley I have no idea (but at this point I'm not expecting anything from him).

Arthur Moats seems like a solid player, and getting a Starter out of a 6th round pick is good.

The rest are busts.

All in all, since we hit on Spiller / Moats, with the jury still out on Carrington and Easley, I give the draft a C+ so far, but can give a better grade once this season is over. It can either stay the same or improve from a C+ (depending on Carrington and Easley), so calling it an "epic bust" is inaccurate and not sensible.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, Moats looks like he may be a starting OLB. Easley if not the #2 should at least see playing time this year. Carrington may become a good backup. CJ is the prize of that draft & looks like he could be a great player for this team. The Bills have had many drafts that were an epic fail, this draft is not one of them.
    There is a very good chance that Easley doesn't make the team. Right now, he's definitely behind Johnson, Jones, Nelson, Graham and Hagan. Recent reports have him falling behind Roosevelt and Martin in a battle for the #6 WR if they keep 6. I doubt they do when Smith and Spiller can play WR in a pinch.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mayotm View Post
    There is a very good chance that Easley doesn't make the team. Right now, he's definitely behind Johnson, Jones, Nelson, Graham and Hagan. Recent reports have him falling behind Roosevelt and Martin in a battle for the #6 WR if they keep 6. I doubt they do when Smith and Spiller can play WR in a pinch.
    Agreed and if they decide to keep Potter for kickoffs (they should), then this post makes total sense.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Lexwhat View Post
    Any draft that hits on its 1st round pick is not to be considered an "epic bust." Who cares what position CJ Spiller was picked at? Almost all teams need more than 1 capable running back (unless you're New England or Green Bay). And besides, Fred Jackson isn't gonna play forever.

With that being said, any reasonable NFL fan will give a player up to 3 years post-draft to be evaluated. I think Spiller will be a special player. Troup could have been good if it weren't for his back injury, so I don't blame Buddy Nix for that one (Troup's career is likely over now)...

Alex Carrington and Marcus Easley deserve this year to showcase their talents. Carrington (at this point) seems like a career back-up, and Easley I have no idea (but at this point I'm not expecting anything from him).

Arthur Moats seems like a solid player, and getting a Starter out of a 6th round pick is good.

The rest are busts.

All in all, since we hit on Spiller / Moats, with the jury still out on Carrington and Easley, I give the draft a C+ so far, but can give a better grade once this season is over. It can either stay the same or improve from a C+ (depending on Carrington and Easley), so calling it an "epic bust" is inaccurate and not sensible.
    You don't waste a top-10 pick on a rb in today's NFL, shouldn't have to explain this even though Spiller is talented.
    Carrington and Easley are 50/50 imo of even making a team.
    We picked the wrong NT in Troup whether he was healthy or not. {And he had back issues in college}. Bad pick.
    Moats may turn into an average player. Jury is still out on that also.

As of today I give that draft a "D-" and that's only because of the talent Spiller has.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,431 Times in 2,008 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That's a tough break for Troup. I feel bad for the guy. If they can put him on IR that's probably the best option. It would give him the opportunity to fully rehab and not put any pressure on him to rush things in order to get back. The salary cap info I've looked at also seems to indicate that the Bills wouldn't save any money by releasing him this year. His cap value for this season would just turn to dead money, so they're on the hook either way.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,395 Times in 13,783 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Lexwhat View Post

The rest are busts.

First, I wouldn't go so far as to say that hitting on the 1st round pick is all it takes from keeping a draft from being a bust. A team that consistently hits on first round picks but whiffs on the rest of the draft isn't going to be very good.

Second, I wouldn't assume CJ Spiller is a "hit" just yet. He had a few good games in two full seasons. It looks promising, but 1/2 a season is too little.

Third, 3 of 9 players on the draft couldn't even survive 2 seasons. 1 (Easley) has yet to be on the field and is on the bubble to even make the team. 1 has made minimal contributions and is on the bubble to make the team (Troup) 2 have made minimal contributions and will probably continue to do so (Batten and Carrington). 1 is likely to be a solid contributor (Moats), and 1 is likely to be a star (Spiller).

So, 5 of 9 players from the draft could potentially be off the team before the 3rd season even starts, and we are unlikely to get more than 2 starters and 2 backups out of 9 picks. And yet, you say it can only go UP from a C+?

Please. This is a perfect example of Bills fans accepting mediocrity.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Troup is likely to be gone soon. He has no value if he can't play.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?