Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: A QUESTION FOR THE PESSIMISTS

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: A QUESTION FOR THE PESSIMISTS

Quote Originally Posted by SquishDaFish View Post
    I get what your saying but that is past regime. So far this group is doing well. Im willing to give it one more season.
    Not with QBs they're not. Nix didn't address it when it needed to be. And Whaley/Nix was FORCED to take a QB in a draft that was not good at the position. Now see where it left us.

Moreover they botched the handling of TRAVARIS JACKSON. And now Russ has to SELL us on how good Thad Lewis is. When Jackson is better, we had him and let him go. Which leads to the botched Kevin Kolb mess. Meanwhile I had to watch Alex Smith go to KC and succeed. So at QB, they get an F so far. Especially if you are an EJ believer and point to his injuries.

2. Post thanked by:

sudzy (04-25-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    So you whine on a daily basis...just constant whining. Being the realist that you are, you should realize that this is all it amounts to. Even in the months where there is nothing at all happening, there is the compulsive whining.

Not what I'm talking about. If you root for the team on game-day and support them, then you are a fan. If you follow the team, then you are a fan.

I'm talking about the incessant whining...every day. The obsession to whine. The hobby of whining. Going out of your way to whine all the time does not somehow make you a bigger fan. To the tune of over 72 THOUSAND general whines, not including the people that have to listen to you whine on the street or whatever.

For crying out loud, build a model airplane or something. It's football, dude.
    Feldspar,

We unfortunately live in a society where you must be on one side.

It is sad.

I want the bills to win just like most of you, I am convinced some of you are trolls just trying to start heated debates.

I am also done trying to educate people on how ignorant it is to say any player is a bust or star after one year.

Kiko was great last year but he needs to do it again to be a star or in all pro consideration for me.

I have no problem with people questioning Bills decisions, heck I am still concerned about LG and I just do not see it from Chris Williams. I am sorry 4 years in the league and has not been great.

The Keith Rivers signing was whatever to me, he is an underachiever in my opinon who is decent depth because of experience and athletic enough for special teams to make a contribution there.

I really liked Corey Graham

I am ok with the Mike Williams, good player I am not sure he solves our big Red Zone target need. He does have a lot of red zone tds, has longer than average arms for a guy his height, and has produced. For the price of a 6th kind of a no brainer.

EJ manual he was not my top qb, I am not football scout, but he was not my favorite. I was really high on Wilson from Arkansas and that shows you what I know. That being said I did want Colin Kaep bad the year he came out, and Nick Foles. I also hated Clausen, the fat LSU kid, and Brady Quinn. That being said I am not QB evaluator. I look for guys with zip on the ball, a nice spiral, and dont freak up with pressure around them. For those reasons I am not a Carr or Mettzenberger fan.

All that aside once the player is on the bills I want them to succeed and be good because I want to so desperatly watch meaningful football in December.

I dont care what you guys think or say but if Phil Simms and Jaws say a QB CAN get better accuracy and can improve if they work I am going to take their word for it over any stat crunching fat butt eatting chips while playing world of war craft.

Do what you do and spew some BS, call me out if EJ crashes and burns and say you are so right and us unbiased fans are stupid.

Bottom line on three QBs have come out that were sure fires and their names were Elway, Peyton, and Luck. No one said EJ was anywhere close to that category but no one said Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Warren Moon, Montana where worth a first round pick either. And yes some of those guys and other HOF QBs were awesome their rookie years but the over whelming majority of them were not.

4. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (04-25-2014)

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Not with QBs they're not. Nix didn't address it when it needed to be. And Whaley/Nix was FORCED to take a QB in a draft that was not good at the position. Now see where it left us.

Moreover they botched the handling of TRAVARIS JACKSON. And now Russ has to SELL us on how good Thad Lewis is. When Jackson is better, we had him and let him go. Which leads to the botched Kevin Kolb mess. Meanwhile I had to watch Alex Smith go to KC and succeed. So at QB, they get an F so far. Especially if you are an EJ believer and point to his injuries.
    I agree that we should of taken care of the QB situation a LONG time ago.

6. Post thanked by:

swiper (04-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The only reason anyone is optimistic about EJ's future is because he's here. If we had Geno Smith, people would be optimistic about him instead of saying he sucks - which he does. Likewise if Manuel was a Jet, everyone would say he sucks.

Neither EJ nor Smith showed one iota of anything on a football field to show they even belong on that field at this level. Much like guys like Akili Smith, Jim Druckenmiller, Trent Edwards, JP Losman, Cade McNown, Dan McGwire, David Klingler, Andre Ware, Brandon Weeden etc etc etc...

Seeing we're all football fans, we've seen how this movie plays out time and time again. To expect anything different is ludicrous however it would be nice if I, and others, were wrong about EJ. Odds are, we're not.

8. Post thanked by:

Fletch (04-27-2014),sudzy (04-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,401 Times in 13,787 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So you whine on a daily basis...just constant whining. Being the realist that you are, you should realize that this is all it amounts to. Even in the months where there is nothing at all happening, there is the compulsive whining.

Not what I'm talking about. If you root for the team on game-day and support them, then you are a fan. If you follow the team, then you are a fan.

I'm talking about the incessant whining...every day. The obsession to whine. The hobby of whining. Going out of your way to whine all the time does not somehow make you a bigger fan. To the tune of over 72 THOUSAND general whines, not including the people that have to listen to you whine on the street or whatever.

For crying out loud, build a model airplane or something. It's football, dude.
    Lmao "going out of my way to whine."

I'm discussing the team, and the reality is that the team is so bad that it's impossible to discuss them realistically without mentioning something bad, then people like you call it "whining."

After all, it's easer to put it on me than it is to admit the reality of how bad this team is.

10. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (04-27-2014),Fletch (04-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Lmao "going out of my way to whine."

I'm discussing the team, and the reality is that the team is so bad that it's impossible to discuss them realistically without mentioning something bad, then people like you call it "whining."

After all, it's easer to put it on me than it is to admit the reality of how bad this team is.
    Ah, good old reality, your old friend.

Discussing how bad the team is all well and good for a little while. Do it every day and all the time, and you are whining.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ah, good old reality, your old friend.

Discussing how bad the team is all well and good for a little while. Do it every day and all the time, and you are whining.
    Lmao.

The team has sucked for 14 years. 14 YEARS. Discussing the team IS discussing how bad the team is. If you don't like it, go to the message board of a better team.

13. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Lmao.

The team has sucked for 14 years. 14 YEARS. Discussing the team IS discussing how bad the team is. If you don't like it, go to the message board of a better team.
    OMG!
    LMAO!
    LOL!
    ROLF!

You are whining. Admit it.

Please explain to me how it's possible to "discuss" how bad something is every single day and all the time and not call that whining. Nearly 73 THOUSAND posts...and we're talking about a football game. Nothing all too serious.

Give me the definition of whining.

Seriously, define whining.

Do it.

No such thing?

Admit it, because it's reality, and then we can move on.
    Last edited by feldspar; 04-25-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,509 Times in 9,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I guess I have become a pessimist. I want them to do well, I don't think they will, I will spend time talking about why they will, and I will fall back into thinking why they won't, because I am used to it after decades. FYI, I was also absolutely certain Marv Levy was the worst coaching hire in Bills history and who the crap is Bill freaking Polian to get the job, like it even matters.

Hm, "why" is a mix.

We took a project QB, that was ok, he was not a healthy project QB, it happens, he looked like a not healthy project QB who wasn't Geno Smith, a healthy not project QB, and that's fine with me. They subbed for him with Thad Lewis, a more experienced tougher project QB with attitude. No problem.

Kevin Kolb was silly one to bank on. Airball though, he could have been. Not likely, possible.

No QB coach, first time pro OC. Fatal flaw to me. Who's helping develop the project QB ? Your first time pro OC coordinating his first pro offense. Go directly to Jail, do not pass Go.

Worked bad. Hire the guy who inadequately developed Thad Lewis and didn't help Matthew Stafford any, universally noted to have regressed. Go directly to Jail, do not pass Go.

Levitre. Ok, people did not want to pay him that, like they were writing the check themselves. Levitre said they made him no offer and he wanted to try staying, I've never seen anything whatever that they made him an offer. But whatever, he left, Colin Brown and Doug Legursky to help protect your brittle airball vet (Kolb), or your project QB (Manuel), or your inadequately developed fill in (Lewis) and project the running game you don't intend to use unless you have to because your uncoached QB's are dropping like flies. Marrone is a former o-line coach, he'll coach them up. Um.

Freddie dunking on Marrone, who has a great laugh and often gets emotional at postgame press. Maybe I'm misreading that comfortable friendly funster vibe, but I'd rather Freddie was scared crapless of the thought and Marrone would insist with an unemotional monotone that like a Yakuza he would begin removing the segment joints of his fingers for each failure until he had to gain nutrients via IV and his players would have to live forever with the memory of watching it. This might just be my misreading of funster but I had a bad feeling when those zany 90's Bills locked Levy in the porta pot and everyone had a great laugh before they couldn't find their helmets and such.

Pettine. Oh this was an awesome hire and a herald to future glory for sure. Throw the checkbook at him, give him "Supreme Assistant Head Coach of Unimaginable Excellent Defensive Barbarism" title, and grab his ankles weeping and raging tearing the hair from your head to make him stay a couple years please please please with sugar and spice and a new car, a hot tub, lifelong La Nova delivery, my expensive watch and the free use of my family for your insane needs, just stay for 2 more years. Nah, replace him with the well disciplined (um), cranky Schwartz who runs a different defense when he runs a defense like 6 years ago because it worked so well recycling Wannstedt.

Bring the problem child Mike Williams home because the place where it started and he knows everyone can't possibly be bad and the 2nd year up tempo no huddle passing game will be way better if be bring in 30 more running backs because we might need 5 or so.

Marrone will often own up and get very upset at pressers this year. Maybe you'll want to hug him, pat his shoulder, "s'ok Doug", and by year 4 he'll be Wayne Fontes if anyone remembers him. I can see him winning a Super Bowl elsewhere in 2017, "well, I learned a lot in Buffalo about head coaching".....

I'll be delighted if this post comes back to make me look like an idiot. I don't expect it to though. Hope it does, don't expect it to.

In the end I won't care much. I'll be back on the bandwagon until I get pessimistic again.

16. Post thanked by:

Fletch (04-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MST3KBillsfan View Post
    Okay lets go through this one by one

I think he could have a decent draft. However, a good draft does not make a good record. It takes a couple years for draft picks to get to where they need to be, and as such I cannot ***** and will not ***** about his draft for three years. I am more interested to see if EJ or our other qbs can prove they belong in the NFL. EJ did show some signs last year, so did Lewis. However, I am not sold on them.

From crap to mediocre on the College level, why should I expect anything other than mediocrity on the pro level from him?

This franchise has only guessed right one time in drafting a qb, and that was 1983. I'm not saying EJ can't stay healthy and develop but the track record suggests he is injury prone. He stays healthy and maybe I can expect growth and development

Nope, didn't say that, but it has much room for improvement
    They've stank since 2005. They were okay in 03 and 04, but after we got rid of Fat Pat it was over

I'm not afraid, its just that I'm from Missouri. Show me on the field that we are finally on the upswing. Otherwise, I can't say that. We win and keep winning I will be thrilled, but I won't be surprised if its different year same old ****.
    Daryle Lamonica was a pretty damn good draft pick by the Bills.

Your failure to recognize that fact brings into question your entire argument.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

OMG!
    LMAO!
    LOL!
    ROLF!

You are whining. Admit it.

Please explain to me how it's possible to "discuss" how bad something is every single day and all the time and not call that whining. Nearly 73 THOUSAND posts...

Give me the definition of whining.

Seriously, define whining.

Do it.

No such thing?

Admit it, because it's reality, and then we can move on.
    Whining is complaining when there isn't a legit reason to complain. Reality is that fans of this team have plenty of reasons to complain.

And the reason why my post count is so high is because every time someone like me mentions something true but bad about the team, someone like you accuses that person of "whining." It becomes a battle, then the team sucks on the field yet again. But sure enough, the next time someone acknowledges a negative reality about the team, someone like you will turn it into a battle yet again. And the team will suck on the field yet again.

Wash, rinse, repeat. As long as people like you insist on making a big deal out of every time someone acknowledges something bad about a bad football team, people like me will have high post counts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Daryle Lamonica was a pretty damn good draft pick by the Bills.

Your failure to recognize that fact brings into question your entire argument.
    He started 4 games for the Bills in 4 years. Yes, I agree, he was a great QB....... FOR THE RAIDERS!!!!

20. Post thanked by:

swiper (04-26-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    He started 4 games for the Bills in 4 years. Yes, I agree, he was a great QB....... FOR THE RAIDERS!!!!
    SO WHAT!

He WON a NUMBER of games for the Bills coming off the bench.

Maybe the Biggest mistake the Bills ever made was trading Lamonica to the Raiders.

But that does not mean he was not a GREAT draft pick by the Bills.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    The only reason anyone is optimistic about EJ's future is because he's here. If we had Geno Smith, people would be optimistic about him instead of saying he sucks - which he does.
    Geez, I have to wonder if you actually watched any games they played in.

23. Post thanked by:

YardRat (04-27-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Whining is complaining when there isn't a legit reason to complain. Reality is that fans of this team have plenty of reasons to complain.
    Patently false.

Look up the definition. You are a whiner, and you don't realize it. The reason for complaining has absolutely nothing to do with it...it's the incessant drawing-on about it that makes you a whiner. Whiners usually have a perfectly legitimate beef.

And the reason why my post count is so high is because every time someone like me mentions something true but bad about the team, someone like you accuses that person of "whining." It becomes a battle, then the team sucks on the field yet again. But sure enough, the next time someone acknowledges a negative reality about the team, someone like you will turn it into a battle yet again. And the team will suck on the field yet again.

Wash, rinse, repeat. As long as people like you insist on making a big deal out of every time someone acknowledges something bad about a bad football team, people like me will have high post counts.
    You're a whiner. Admit it. Look up the definition.

It's not a battle. You're just whining.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Patently false.

Look up the definition. You are a whiner, and you don't realize it. The reason for complaining has absolutely nothing to do with it...it's the incessant drawing-on about it that makes you a whiner. Whiners usually have a perfectly legitimate beef.

You're a whiner. Admit it. Look up the definition.

It's not a battle. You're just whining.
    No, it's not about me. The team really is that bad- you just don't realize it.

You can say I whine because I'm incessant about it, but two things:
    One, the reason I'm incessant about it is because people like you are incessant in arguing with me about it. No matter how many times the team has proven me right on the field, people like you insist on turning everything I say into a battle.

Two, the reality is that if the team were better, there would be nothing for me to be incessant about.

26. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And the reason why my post count is so high is because
    You post a lot. Man up Mister. Happens to me too time to time.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No, it's not about me. The team really is that bad- you just don't realize it.

You can say I whine because I'm incessant about it, but two things:
    One, the reason I'm incessant about it is because people like you are incessant in arguing with me about it. No matter how many times the team has proven me right on the field, people like you insist on turning everything I say into a battle.

Two, the reality is that if the team were better, there would be nothing for me to be incessant about.
    "People like me" have nothing to do with your decision to whine.

Battle?

Nobody is forcing you to whine.

So you admit that you whine? We aren't even talking about the team here.
    Last edited by feldspar; 04-25-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    SO WHAT!

He WON a NUMBER of games for the Bills coming off the bench.

Maybe the Biggest mistake the Bills ever made was trading Lamonica to the Raiders.

But that does not mean he was not a GREAT draft pick by the Bills.
    Just stop it. He was not great. At all. Please. Some of us saw him play as well. Historically he will always be remembered as a Raider. But in that era, he was not considered great.

His completion % never rose above 53%, and was usually miserable in the 30-40% range. His INT to TD rate always sucked. He was known for one thing and one thing only. He liked to chuck the ball down field. On the occasion he connected it looked like a beautiful thing. That's it.

What are you gonna try to sell the kids next? That Dennis Shaw was a great pick.
    Last edited by swiper; 04-26-2014 at 04:55 AM.

30. Post thanked by:

sudzy (04-26-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Great read. Kind of sheds some light on what we saw last year.

32. Post thanked by:

Fletch (04-27-2014),swiper (04-26-2014)