Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pegula

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Pegula

I posed this question in the thread about Pegula selling assets for 1.75 billion, but thought it would get more attention in its own thread.

I live in Nevada and am a NY Rangers fan, I route for the sabers to be good because I want Buffalo to get a championship and if the rangers cannot do it then I want the sabers to do it.

That being said we all know Pegula will keep the team in Buffalo so win right there.

How involved is he with the sabers, is he a Jerry Jones where he tells them what to do or is he more of a Rooney guy and lets the GM he hires run the football team and then hold that guy accountable for wins/losses/draft hits misses.

Also what do saber fans think of Pegula as an owner. From what I have seen in the past people liked him at first because he was willing to spend money, although that does not seem to have helped them. Please understand I do not know the intricate details of the sabers and am not insulting anyone, I am asking because I am trying to gauge the guy.

What I dont want is Golisano buying the team and being a cheap arse and then selling the team in 15 years for a huge profit.

I think Pegula will keep the team and probably pass down to his kids if he has any.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,923 Times in 5,311 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Pegula

He hung Pat Lafontaine out to dry and hires cronies to spy for him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sabres

4. Post thanked by:

Famous Amos (08-07-2014),GvilleBills (08-07-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He appears to sit back and let managment do there thing.

I do agree the Lafontaine thing was weird though.

Either way of course my only prefered option to buy the Bills.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    Sabres
    My bad, sorry for that I did not catch that.

7. Post thanked by:

Yasgur's Farm (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
    He appears to sit back and let managment do there thing.

I do agree the Lafontaine thing was weird though.

Either way of course my only prefered option to buy the Bills.

Can I get a cliff notes on the Lafontaine deal and what Laftontaine did for teh sabres, sorry.

Literally no sabres or really hockey news at here unless San Jose Sharks

Thanks
    Thanked 17,693 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Or maybe LaFontaine did not get his way and threw a temper tantrum.

Nobody seems to know what happened.

Pegula has good intentions. I don't think spending money will be an issue for him, although spending NFL money is different than NHL money. He can be a bit of a fanboy and too devoted to emplyees.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    Or maybe LaFontaine did not get his way and threw a temper tantrum.

Nobody seems to know what happened.

Pegula has good intentions. I don't think spending money will be an issue for him, although spending NFL money is different than NHL money. He can be a bit of a fanboy and too devoted to emplyees.
    Not being familiar with Sabres hockey or the Pat Lafontaine affair, did he leave the existing front office in place there?

Is there any evidence that he would can the the biggest front office fixtures on the Bills?

He clearly has enough money to pay for a decent head coach and GM.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,408 Times in 13,793 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

When Pegula took over, he left GM Darcy Regier in place. Regier was trying to build a team around Roy, Pominville, Vanek and Miller, and the prevailing thought was that Regier knew what he was doing but was held back by Golisano's cheapness.

So, Pegula believed the hype. He opened the checkbook and let Darcy go to town. The results were dismal. He overpaid for Ville Leino and Christian Ehrhoff. The team sucked and now Darcy's gone along with coach Lindy Ruff and every single player I just mentioned. They were the worst team in the NHL last year and are rebuilding from scratch.

My biggest fear with Pegula as Bills owner is that he didn't learn and makes the same mistake by leaving Brandon and his lackeys in charge. Brandon only knows how to do things one way: Ralph's way. And we've seen the kind of results that gets.

If Pegula takes over, I want a scorched earth policy. Russ and every single one of his lackeys need to be gone.

12. Post thanked by:

ServoBillieves (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sorry fox... Had to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    My bad, sorry for that I did not catch that.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    When Pegula took over, he left GM Darcy Regier in place. Regier was trying to build a team around Roy, Pominville, Vanek and Miller, and the prevailing thought was that Regier knew what he was doing but was held back by Golisano's cheapness.

So, Pegula believed the hype. He opened the checkbook and let Darcy go to town. The results were dismal. He overpaid for Ville Leino and Christian Ehrhoff. The team sucked and now Darcy's gone along with coach Lindy Ruff and every single player I just mentioned. They were the worst team in the NHL last year and are rebuilding from scratch.

My biggest fear with Pegula as Bills owner is that he didn't learn and makes the same mistake by leaving Brandon and his lackeys in charge. Brandon only knows how to do things one way: Ralph's way. And we've seen the kind of results that gets.

If Pegula takes over, I want a scorched earth policy. Russ and every single one of his lackeys need to be gone.
    agreed, but i wouldn't be upset if littman stayed. he seems to be a cap genius and every team should have someone who really gets it.

15. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    agreed, but i wouldn't be upset if littman stayed. he seems to be a cap genius and every team should have someone who really gets it.

It has been said Polian and Littman had troubles seeing eye to eye at the end of polians tenure in Buffalo.. Littman I think is easily disposable and thought Jim Overdorf was the cap guy and he is easily disposableas well

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well, but here's the thing, he's got over a decade of history of Brandon and Wilson's other cronies leading us to record-setting performance futility. He would have no reason to buy into Brandon's, Whaley's, Littman's, Overdorf's, or Majeski's bullsiht. They've only proven themselves losers in administrating in such a way as to create a winning team.

During Regier's time as GM he had 12 winning seasons, been to the playoffs 8 or 9 times and even went to the Stanleys once.

Since and including the 2000 season the Bills have had only one winning season and haven't been to the playoffs at all.

I don't see how he can possibly be blind to the fact that it's been the aforementioned people that are the problem. Plus, he's a fan and hopefully realizes this.

18. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (08-06-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,215 Times in 3,684 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Slash & burn doesn't work in the NFL until you get a new GM, so you're basically saying you want Whaley's head on a silver platter ?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    It has been said Polian and Littman had troubles seeing eye to eye at the end of polians tenure in Buffalo.. Littman I think is easily disposable and thought Jim Overdorf was the cap guy and he is easily disposableas well
    Cap Guys are a dime a dozen. Don't we have one or two here?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Slash & burn doesn't work in the NFL until you get a new GM, so you're basically saying you want Whaley's head on a silver platter ?
    Wouldn't you if Manuel doesn't work out this season?

I'll say it again.

Whaley gambled on Manuel last year.

In order to recoup his gambling losses this year he doubled down on trying recover that bad gamble by taking an even bigger one.

At the end of this season, if it hasn't paid off, this team will be worse off than ever with no 1st-round pick next year. If it happens to be a 1st or 2nd and if Winston comes out, it will have been disastrous.

If this team finishes a single game behind 7-9 then yes, Whaley should be sent packing. His resume was thin and weak to begin with.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Wouldn't you if Manuel doesn't work out this season?

I'll say it again.

Whaley gambled on Manuel last year.

In order to recoup his gambling losses this year he doubled down on trying recover that bad gamble by taking an even bigger one.

At the end of this season, if it hasn't paid off, this team will be worse off than ever with no 1st-round pick next year. If it happens to be a 1st or 2nd and if Winston comes out, it will have been disastrous.

If this team finishes a single game behind 7-9 then yes, Whaley should be sent packing. His resume was thin and weak to begin with.
    What if the defense is in the top 3 in the league and we finish 6-10 ? You going to torch the GM for a bad QB call (which hasn't happened yet) ?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

By the way, neither does leaving incompetent and negligent ignoramuses in the front office. That's even less likely to produce anything good.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What if the defense is in the top 3 in the league and we finish 6-10 ? You going to torch the GM for a bad QB call (which hasn't happened yet) ?
    Are you saying that's going to happen or even likely to happen?

Let's talk brass tacks here and not just whimsical hypotheticals. IMO the odds of that happening are remote. You're going to see a significant regression in the defense this season, I promise you that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Are you saying that's going to happen or even likely to happen?

Let's talk brass tacks here and not just whimsical hypotheticals. IMO the odds of that happening are remote. You're going to see a significant regression in the defense this season, I promise you that.
    You're crazier than I thought, if we stay healthy. I think that our opposing offenses will be lucky to score more than 18 points on average, that means our offense to score.
    Last edited by Skooby; 08-06-2014 at 12:39 PM.