Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This draft wasn't getting us a QB in the first round...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: This draft wasn't getting us a QB in the first round...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    These are the players that Cleveland got in exchange for that trade:

WR - Phil Taylor (Used 1st from ATL to trade up a few spots to take Taylor)
    WR - Greg Little
    FB - Owen Marecic
    QB - Brandon Weeden
    RB - Trent Richardson (They used the 4th from ATL to help with the trade up to get Richardson)

So yeah, Cleveland got very little in return for that trade but it's mostly because they can't draft for ****. There were several good players available when CLE was picking that they could have had. For example, they could have drafted Cameron Jordan (or Dalton or Kaep), Randall Cobb, Julius Thomas, and Dont'a Hightower. If they would have gotten even one of those players, I think you would be singing a different tune. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and that argument is a 'what if' scenario.

I think if you offer ATL 2 1sts, a 2nd, and 2 4ths for Julio today, they take it. There are very few players in the NFL today that are worth more than that.
    Could have, should have.

The Bills could/should have drafted Tom Brady & Brett Favre. But they didn't.

So today, who is offering anything for what the Browns did get in that trade?

I think Atlanta is still happy to have Jones.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Dez Bryant was franchise tagged (non-exclusive) this year. This means that any team can sign him to a contract and give up 2 1st round picks to get him. Why has nobody done this? Maybe it's because Dez isn't worth 2 1st round picks? Dez is a better receiver than Sammy, right?

Demaryius Thomas was also franchised, no team is signing him either.

When is the last time an NFL team (other than the team who tagged the player) signed any franchised player, regardless of position? I can't remember one instance. Even 'franchise-able' caliber players are not considered worthy of 2 1st round picks. These are players that have proven themselves to be the top tier of their respective positions. How anyone can say Sammy is worth 2 1st round picks as well as a 4th is beyond me.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Could have, should have.

The Bills could/should have drafted Tom Brady & Brett Favre. But they didn't.

So today, who is offering anything for what the Browns did get in that trade?

I think Atlanta is still happy to have Jones.
    If we didn't draft Sammy, would you want to give up 2 1st round picks for Dez? Or Demaryius?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Dez Bryant was franchise tagged (non-exclusive) this year. This means that any team can sign him to a contract and give up 2 1st round picks to get him. Why has nobody done this? Maybe it's because Dez isn't worth 2 1st round picks? Dez is a better receiver than Sammy, right?

Demaryius Thomas was also franchised, no team is signing him either.

When is the last time an NFL team (other than the team who tagged the player) signed any franchised player, regardless of position? I can't remember one instance. Even 'franchise-able' caliber players are not considered worthy of 2 1st round picks. These are players that have proven themselves to be the top tier of their respective positions. How anyone can say Sammy is worth 2 1st round picks as well as a 4th is beyond me.
    I don't think the draft picks is the reason teams don't want to sign Dez.

It is the fact Dez is an AHOLE with off field issues & he will want a LOT of money to sign with another team.

Hell even the Cowboys don't want to give Dez a long term contract & that is why he was tagged.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If we didn't draft Sammy, would you want to give up 2 1st round picks for Dez? Or Demaryius?
    No because you would also have to pay out a lot of money in that process.

The Bills have Sammy tied up on a low money contract for 5 years.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think the draft picks is the reason teams don't want to sign Dez.

It is the fact Dez is an AHOLE with off field issues & he will want a LOT of money to sign with another team.

Hell even the Cowboys don't want to give Dez a long term contract & that is why he was tagged.
    There have been plenty of respectable WRs who've been franchise tagged and not signed to contracts by other teams, like Demaryius.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Ok, I'll be as simple. I'd rather be the team that won more games, so I guess that's Cleveland.

Just as simple, you'd rather be the team that won less ?

Sort of doesn't really mean a crap who you get for what if you can't use it and win less games anyway now does it ?
    The Browns didn't win more games a result of the picks they got in return for The Julio Jones trade-up. That had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I'd MUCH rather have Julio Jones than all the players the Browns got, and so would anybody else that looks at it.

It's a very simple true point, but one that you don't want to allow me to make for some reason. Don't know why you want to harp on about something completely unrelated instead of just conceding my rather simple point. Anyway the Falcons went 13-3, and made it to the Championship game in Jones' second year...he had a killer game too. I think he had about 180 yards receiving in that game where the Falcons almost made it to the Super Bowl.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No because you would also have to pay out a lot of money in that process.

The Bills have Sammy tied up on a low money contract for 5 years.
    It's only low money for 4 years.

Wouldn't it be awesome to only have used 1 1st round pick on a young probowl caliber WR? Like the Cowboys did with Dez, or the Broncos did with Demaryius, or the Lions with Calvin, or Packers with Jordy or Cobb, or the Bucs with Evans, or the Giants with Beckham, or the Panthers with Benjamin, or blah blah with blah.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    The Browns didn't win more games a result of the picks they got in return for The Julio Jones trade-up. That had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I'd MUCH rather have Julio Jones than all the players the Browns got, and so would anybody else that looks at it.

It's a very simple true point, but one that you don't want to allow me to make for some reason. Don't know why you want to harp on about something completely unrelated instead of just conceding my rather simple point. Anyway the Falcons went 13-3, and made it to the Championship game in Jones' second year...he had a killer game too. I think he had about 180 yards receiving in that game where the Falcons almost made it to the Super Bowl.
    Pretty cool what can happen with a great WR when you have a probowl QB throwing him the ball. Kind of makes you wonder if you should try to get one before spending extra resources to get the other, no?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Pretty cool what can happen with a great WR when you have a probowl QB throwing him the ball. Kind of makes you wonder if you should try to get one before spending extra resources to get the other, no?
    Technically, Matt Cassel is a Probowl quarterback. He played in one.

It's not so easy to find an All-Pro QB due to supply and demand. We weren't going to get a QB with what we gave up for Sammy, anyway, which is what this thread is about. I'm not going to sit here and whine about that trade. I'm glad Watkins is on the team. He's bound to make whoever plays QB better.

11. Post thanked by:

better days (04-20-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Technically, Matt Cassel is a Probowl quarterback. He played in one.
    The 2010 probowl isn't really relevant today, but I can see the flaw you pointed out with my statement. However, Cassel wasn't on this team when we traded for Sammy, and he still hasn't played a down for us and there's a small possibility that he never will.

It's not so easy to find an All-Pro QB due to supply and demand. We weren't going to get a QB with what we gave up for Sammy, anyway, which is what this thread is about.
    This thread is about the ridiculous premise that we'd draft a QB with the 19th pick that we would have had. My original point was that there are other ways we could have improved this team besides a QB at 19.

I'm not going to sit here and whine about that trade.
    So you're just going to whine about the people whining then?

I'm glad Watkins is on the team.
    So am I.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There have been plenty of respectable WRs who've been franchise tagged and not signed to contracts by other teams, like Demaryius.
    Because Thomas wants more money than he is worth.

Which proves the point, Sammy was worth the two first rnd picks because the Bills have him on the cheap for 5 years.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's only low money for 4 years.

Wouldn't it be awesome to only have used 1 1st round pick on a young probowl caliber WR? Like the Cowboys did with Dez, or the Broncos did with Demaryius, or the Lions with Calvin, or Packers with Jordy or Cobb, or the Bucs with Evans, or the Giants with Beckham, or the Panthers with Benjamin, or blah blah with blah.
    Yes it would be awesome if the Bills could have gotten Sammy with only one first rnd pick. But that was not going to happen.

So it is awesome Sammy is a Bill even though it cost two first rnd picks IMO.

If the Bills did not make that trade for Sammy, the Bills would now have Eric Ebron & the #19 pick in this draft.

I would rather have Sammy.

And it is a low cost contract for the full 5 years in comparison to what Sammy would make in year 5 if the Bills did not have the option for that 5th year.
    Last edited by better days; 04-20-2015 at 11:11 AM.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Unless you jack Thomas' year 1 cap hit through the roof, you couldn't get him. Denver has over $20 million in potential cap savings next year just from Manning retiring and cutting Ware.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The 2010 Pro Bowl isn't relevant to today? LOL.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Because Thomas wants more money than he is worth.

Which proves the point, Sammy was worth the two first rnd picks because the Bills have him on the cheap for 5 years.
    Ok, Ralph.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yes it would be awesome if the Bills could have gotten Sammy with only one first rnd pick. But that was not going to happen.
    Then so be it.

If the Bills did not make that trade for Sammy, the Bills would now have Eric Ebron & the #19 pick in this draft.
    Pure speculation.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    Unless you jack Thomas' year 1 cap hit through the roof, you couldn't get him. Denver has over $20 million in potential cap savings next year just from Manning retiring and cutting Ware.
    The point is that no other team is willing to give up 2 1sts for Demaryius, not just the Bills. If Sammy is worth 2 1st round picks and a 4th, why is Demaryius Thomas not worth 2 1sts? Probably because receivers aren't worth 2 1st round draft picks.

How many 1st round picks did Seattle use on their WRs who played in the Super Bowl last year? What about New England?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    The 2010 Pro Bowl isn't relevant to today? LOL.
    We don't have the 2010 Matt Cassel on our team, do we?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe