Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mortenson confirms Patriots deflated balls!!!

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Mortenson confirms Patriots deflated balls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    Could be. They very well might have gotten better hiding at it.

I'll say this... Something strange happened to Brady's stats in 2007. He suddenly went from being a good QB to being an out of the world QB.
    It might have something to do with going from Reche Caldwell and Ben Watson to Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Rob Gronkowski over that span.

The crazy part is that New England would still be extremely good even if they didn't cheat. That's why it's so ridiculous that they do.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    Here's the issue for me: the balls get presented to the refs a couple hours before the game. Supposedly the refs tested all the balls, at which point they throw the balls into a zipped bag. Other than when a new ball is needed during the game the balls stay in the bag. Meaning someone on NE's staff would have to unzip the bag and draw air out of the balls in front of 70,000 people and with over 30 cameras watching. Apparently you're not curious how they pulled this off. I AM.

Personally I think that is pretty far fetched. My theory is this: NE presented 2 dozen (or more since they new bad weather was expected) balls to the ref and most were under pressured. I think the ref half assed or skipped the pressure test, maybe checked a few in the second 12 batch, found they were ok, and threw the whole bunch in the bag. If they did in fact properly test all the balls and they were all good before the game then I would say there is a very high probability someone saw some schenanigans or even more likely it's on tape.
    Yeah. Because 2 Hours is not enough time to let the air out of 11 footballs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 913 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You guys are missing the easy way to do this. If the ball is inflated with heated air (like 91 degrees or so), they would be deflated 2 psi at game time. No need to take a needle to them.

Brian Burke @Adv_NFL_Stats · 2h 2 hours ago
    91 deg F. RT @outsidePasser How warm would the original air have to have been in order to make the balls down 2 psi at game temperature?)
    https://twitter.com/Adv_NFL_Stats/st...04848122404865
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

4. Post thanked by:

Meathead (01-21-2015),swiper (01-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Another thing that really bugs me about this. It's apparent they have been at this for awhile. The Colts game was lopsided, but other games weren't. How much of this was a factor in them getting home field advantage? A little cheating like this could very well be parlayed into a huge advantage.
    Last edited by Strongman; 01-21-2015 at 05:11 PM.

6. Post thanked by:

don137 (01-21-2015),Novacane (01-22-2015)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    Another thing that really bugs me about this. It's apparent they have been at this for awhile. The Colts game was lopsided, but other games weren't. How much of this he was a factor in them getting home field advantage? A little cheating like this could very well be parlayed into a huge advantage.
    Confirmed: Patriots are big pieces of ****.

Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,532 Times in 3,995 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    A few quick thoughts

1. It must be nice to have an organization that badly wants to win. Say that they go too far, but I would prefer that to a team that lives to punt and kick field goals.
    2. I am willing to bet teams play with these footballs all the time. The NFL should not allow them to have access to the game balls and all game balls should be treated like kicking balls and controlled by the league. It ensures an even ground. It's only logical.
    3. Watching Bills fans reaction to this is sad. They are so jealous of the Patriots. Here's an idea - learn how to beat them and make the point moot. Seeing them whine about the tuck rule (which, btw, was the correct call like it or not) and all of the success of the Patriots is embarrassing.

I almost want them to win the Super Bowl because of my dislike of the Seahawks and how so many Bills fans act about them
    "Everyone Else Does It Too!" Heh.

Oh yes, let's spot them whatever means/methods they want to cheat, and just be so much better that it doesn't matter.

There's a plan!

The reaction is "sad?" Last I checked it was a story all over the news. I guess those news organizations are "sad" for taking an interest. You can be an Enabler if you want, but I think these guys should be hit hard with some kind of punishment. NOT to give us an advantage, but to *maybe* keep similar from happening. Obviously the previous cheating/punishment did not serve as a deterrent.

There needs to be some sort of NFL Patriot Act. The Patriots AND their equipment should have to go through a nationally-televised security scanner similar to the invasive ones they used at airports.

Patti
    Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

9. Post thanked by:

coastal (01-21-2015),Novacane (01-22-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,790 Times in 7,831 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

To those that say that because the Pats beat Indy 40 whatever to 7, and it does not "change the outcome of the blowout", or that it's "not that big of a deal", that it was "not such a big deal in this game", or "it's not about the Colts losing the game", or "Blount didn't need a(n) underinflated ball to run all over them"...and all the other defenses or rationalizations....

I disagree vehemently.

Of COUSE it makes a big difference, and it could certainly have been a BIG difference in that very game.

THAT IS WHY THERE ARE RULES!!! One breaks the rules that are determined to ensure there is no artificial competitive advantage with the very basis of how the game is played (the equipment), it's cheating...pure and simple, and the "win" the Pats got out of this is, in my book, INVALID!!

Why else do the Pats deflate balls but to give themselves an unfair advantage. Who knows how many throws that were catches would not be so, or turn into a deflected INT. THAT is the point. ANY play can be a turning point of a game. Like we saw in Seattle, would that on-side kick been recovered by Green Bay if the ball was a little softer??

The punishment should be, the Pats forfeit the Colts game and Indy plays in the Super Bowl. It won't happen, but, it should. Why?

Because the integrity of that game is nonexistent. A game is supposed to determined who plays better for that game, at that time. This action unfairly skews that whole premise and having the winner advance. There will always be questions....did the Pats win the game "fairly" (absolutely NO!!), if both teams were playing with the mandated equal equipment would the results be different? No one knows, which is why the game is NOT a reflection of who won "fair and square", and the Pats committed an offense that deserves forfeiting the game.

In the regular season, if caught doing this, they should get a loss and the other team gets a win. Period, end of story.

This just happened to take place in a winner advance playoff game...so, the Pats do not advance. Period, end of story.
    Last edited by notacon; 01-21-2015 at 06:37 PM.

11. Post thanked by:

coastal (01-21-2015),Discotrish (01-21-2015)

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,537 Times in 4,905 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    You can already tell how the league is going to play this. "Deflate-gate" is the top story on every single sports site this morning, and exactly ZERO stories on NFL.com
    That's the same way they played it with EVERY story that came down the pike this year regarding the NFL: The Ray Rice video. The Adrian Peterson matter. And so on. And so on.

I've figured out a new slogan for the NFL: Instead of "Together We Make Football", it should read "Together We Make Excuses".
    John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
    David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

ya he looked like a dog lease and he taking a for walked with a dog lease and he is going take a $h1ty on the grass like a dog

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by chris66 View Post
    you can have the respect I'll take the Super Bowl trophies
    Well, good....go right ahead and take those Lombardi Trophies...shine them up nice and good...whether you want to deflate them is up to you...then...turn those sum*****es sideways...and stick them straight up your candy ass....AHHHHHHHH!
    Last edited by ckg927; 01-21-2015 at 06:45 PM.

15. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (01-23-2015)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    If you have zero to offer, and you don't, just stfu
    if he doesnt have zero to offer then he has something

if he doesnt not have zero to offer then he has nothing

which of course means he doesnt not have nothing to not be something. and he doesnt
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,532 Times in 3,995 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post

The punishment should be, the Pats forfeit the Colts game and Indy plays in the Super Bowl. It won't happen, but, it should. Why?

Because the integrity of that game is nonexistent. A game is supposed to determined who plays better for that game, at that time. This action unfairly skews that whole premise and having the winner advance. There will always be questions....did the Pats win the game "fairly" (absolutely NO!!), if both teams were playing with the mandated equal equipment would the results be different? No one knows, which is why the game is NOT a reflection of who won "fair and square", and the Pats committed an offense that deserves forfeiting the game.

In the regular season, if caught doing this, they should get a loss and the other team gets a win. Period, end of story.

This just happened to take place in a winner advance playoff game...so, the Pats do not advance. Period, end of story.
    Now THERE'S some consequences!

Patti

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    To those that say that because the Pats beat Indy 40 whatever to 7, and it does not "change the outcome of the blowout", or that it's "not that big of a deal", that it was "not such a big deal in this game", or "it's not about the Colts losing the game", or "Blount didn't need a(n) underinflated ball to run all over them"...and all the other defenses or rationalizations....

I disagree vehemently.

Of COUSE it makes a big difference, and it could certainly have been a BIG difference in that very game.

THAT IS WHY THERE ARE RULES!!! One breaks the rules that are determined to ensure there is no artificial competitive advantage with the very basis of how the game is played (the equipment), it's cheating...pure and simple, and the "win" the Pats got out of this is, in my book, INVALID!!

Why else do the Pats deflate balls but to give themselves an unfair advantage. Who knows how many throws that were catches would not be so, or turn into a deflected INT. THAT is the point. ANY play can be a turning point of a game. Like we saw in Seattle, would that on-side kick been recovered by Green Bay if the ball was a little softer??

Good Question

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I want to see Seattle embarrass the Patriots just as badly as they did the Broncos last year.

After the game, I want to see Richard Sherman cut a promo on the Patriots and all of New England the same way he did when Michael Crabtree was the target of his ire.

20. Post thanked by:

notacon (01-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Well, good....go right ahead and take those Lombardi Trophies...shine them up nice and good...whether you want to deflate them is up to you....then...and only then....turn those sum*****es sideways...and stick them straight up your candy ass....AHHHHHHHH!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i want to see richard sherman make a complete ass of himself by bringing field machismo to an interview and then go on national tv to tell everybody the only reason white ppl are criticizing him is bc they really want to call him ni99er

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

... and then not be held accountable in the slightest for his blatantly racist comments

Thanks
    Thanked 4,377 Times in 2,101 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    I want to see Seattle embarrass the Patriots just as badly as they did the Broncos last year.

After the game, I want to see Richard Sherman cut a promo on the Patriots and all of New England the same way he did when Michael Crabtree was the target of his ire.
    I'm not really jazzed about this superbowl. i can't stand watching either of these teams, though i do get to see a bit more of the hawks then the pats where i'm at. I dislike both coaches with a passion. Both of them are blatent cheaters. Still, i'll enjoy a 65-0 drubbing of the patriots at the hands of the seahawks.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

25. Post thanked by:

psubills62 (01-22-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    i want to see richard sherman make a complete ass of himself by bringing field machismo to an interview and then go on national tv to tell everybody the only reason white ppl are criticizing him is bc they really want to call him ni99er
    Sherman made EVERYONE who criticized him for cutting that promo look stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    ... and then not be held accountable in the slightest for his blatantly racist comments
    ....which is only in my mind.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

John Madden: Blame Tom Brady for deflated footballs

The week began with Patriots quarterback Tom Brady laughing off the suggestion that the team had deflated footballs used on Sunday against the Colts. When Brady, who said in 2011 that he likes deflated footballs, meets with the media on Friday, he probably won’t be doing much laughing.

He’ll be reacting to a bunch of questions about the situation, and he may specifically be faced with a pointed question regarding the opinions of Hall of Fame coach John Madden.

“That would have to be driven by the quarterback,” Madden told The Sports Xchange on Wednesday. “That’s something that wouldn’t be driven by a coach or just the equipment guy. Nobody, not even the head coach, would do anything to a football unilaterally, such as adjust the amount of pressure in a ball, without the quarterback not knowing. It would have to be the quarterback’s idea.”

Madden’s position makes a lot of sense. Quarterbacks are particular about their footballs. Anybody doing anything to the footballs without the quarterback’s knowledge or consent would be asking for a tongue lashing. In Brady’s case, his tongue wouldn’t be needed to formulate the various “F” words that would be hurled at he who messes with the quarterback’s primary tool.

“He is the effected,” Madden said. “He is the only guy. I heard some of the pundits saying the ball is easier to catch, but that would never, ever, ever be done for that unless the quarterback wanted it. You wouldn’t do something for a receiver to catch the ball if the quarterback couldn’t throw it. So it’s going to be done for the quarterback.”

Madden’s compelling, commonsensical take will make the potential conclusion that a ball boy went rogue ring hollow. The ball boy would be going rogue not only against the rules but also against the wishes of the quarterback. So if anyone connected to the Patriots was taking air out of the footballs, Madden’s explanation makes it clear that the quarterback either knew about it and did nothing to stop it — or deliberately requested it.

Now here’s the part where hundreds of Patriots and Raiders fans argue in the comments regarding whether Madden’s remarks were motivated by the tuck rule.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ted-footballs/

28. Post thanked by:

notacon (01-21-2015)