Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So the Bills D may go thru a bigger change than we all think?

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,124 Times in 4,305 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: So the Bills D may go thru a bigger change than we all think?

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Elite QB's make coaches look elite.
    For the most part, I'd agree, yes.

2. Post thanked by:

notacon (02-15-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills D is of those that work well against majority of NFL teams, but against offense with elite QBs like Mahomes, Burrows, not so much. Just feel like this off-season, you have the feel it is the "turning of the page" transition under McDermott from coaching staff to the players they will acquire; they are aligning themselves towards more capable playoff defense. Generally you need better players under man.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,124 Times in 4,305 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

100%.

The Tampa 2 or Shell or whatever you want to call it is a great Defense if you can pressure the QB. If you can't, it sucks. That being said, playing man coverage also sucks if you can't pressure the QB.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think if you play zone against Mahomes and Kelce, it's just a match up nightmare. Mahomes is a smart QB who can read defense well, have ability to extend plays. Kelce is great in finding soft zone, aka "being open."

Play man, you have more resource to spy or to pressure to force the issue. A big if is your man coverage is good enough --- all QBs like playing against man coverage because the read is simple, just need to find you best match up.

The most important part is more disguise and mixes.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,693 Times in 6,229 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    I’d love to have a couple of shut-down CBs. It’d open up so many more options for blitzes.
    Give me McDuffie and Sneed and it's game over for everybody.

1) Ari
    2)@ Mia
    3) Jac
    4)@ Bal
    5)@ Hou
    6)@ Jet
    7) Ten
    8)@ Sea

Thanks
    Thanked 7,693 Times in 6,229 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Let us hit on a couple corners this draft class .... at least one.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,789 Times in 7,831 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills defense was factually decimated by injury in 2023.

Losing three of your best star defenders for extended number of games negates the roster building of a defense.

Tre' White missed 13 games. Matt Milano missed 12 and DaQuan Jones missed 10.

That's 25% of your starters missing TWO THIRDS of the games.

The Bills were tied for the fourth-most games lost by starters on defense with 46. That does not count Von Miller's four missed games, because the injury occurred in 2022.

Meanwhile, according to the Buffalo News....

"It should come as no surprise that once again, there was a strong correlation between health and success. The two teams that made the Super Bowl were among the healthiest in the league.

Kansas City was tied for the second-fewest games lost at 27. San Francisco had the fifth-lowest total at 30.

The Chiefs have had an amazing run of good health in recent years. They lost the fewest games in the NFL to injury in 2022, the third fewest in 2021 and the 10th fewest in 2020. They were tied for 13th in both 2019 and 2018."

All the planning and roster building goes out the window when so many injuries take place, especially to your biggest stars!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

BTW....the "46 games lost" by starters was ONLY for defense. The offensive starters were much healthier, missing only six games. The O-line was one of only two NFL teams that had no games lost by O-line starters.

But, the official number of games lost by starters for the Bills is FIFTY-TWO.

That's just under TWICE as much as KC's 27.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

All the planning and roster building goes out the window when so many injuries take place, especially to your biggest stars!!

Either that....or your planning and roster building procedures are correlated with the injuries!

11. Post thanked by:

YardRat (02-16-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe the age comes into play on injuries. Chiefs has the 7th youngest team. The Bills 26th.

Haven't looked in details, I suspect the Bills D roster is older than Bills O roster? How many starting D players is under the age of 26 at the start of the season?

13. Post thanked by:

YardRat (02-16-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Maybe the age comes into play on injuries. Chiefs has the 7th youngest team. The Bills 26th.

Haven't looked in details, I suspect the Bills D roster is older than Bills O roster? How many starting D players is under the age of 26 at the start of the season?
    That would be planning and roster building...

15. Post thanked by:

YardRat (02-16-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,923 Times in 3,551 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills defense was factually decimated by injury in 2023.

Losing three of your best star defenders for extended number of games negates the roster building of a defense.

Tre' White missed 13 games. Matt Milano missed 12 and DaQuan Jones missed 10.

That's 25% of your starters missing TWO THIRDS of the games.

The Bills were tied for the fourth-most games lost by starters on defense with 46. That does not count Von Miller's four missed games, because the injury occurred in 2022.

Meanwhile, according to the Buffalo News....

"It should come as no surprise that once again, there was a strong correlation between health and success. The two teams that made the Super Bowl were among the healthiest in the league.

Kansas City was tied for the second-fewest games lost at 27. San Francisco had the fifth-lowest total at 30.

The Chiefs have had an amazing run of good health in recent years. They lost the fewest games in the NFL to injury in 2022, the third fewest in 2021 and the 10th fewest in 2020. They were tied for 13th in both 2019 and 2018."

That is what I’ve been preaching as to why Kelce beat us. Just one of Milano or Bernard were healthy, we would have beaten them…and then Baltimore. ****ing sucks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,487 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Interesting though, the cover 1 guys do not think Sweat is the one fit the Bills. I can't disagree after watch Linval Joseph against Mahomes in the playoff game.

If they are going to spend a 1st round pick on a 1T DT, they want someone who can rush the passer. With the size of ours LBs, the right kind of DTs is very important to us.
    So I don't get it with DT. We need the BIG guys in to stop the run. Oliver's not big enough. So now we need a quicker DT. Oliver's too slow. Why did we pay him? I think investing a 1st round pick on a DT this year is stupid. WR is the clear need.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have said this all along. My preference is going after a potential HoF talent in their evaluation in the first round, regardless position need. Those ones are hard to come by and they change franchises. The fact the Bills, in the draught years, 17 in a row, despite drafting top 10, top 15 most of the time, did not get a single one of those players tells you how hard to get them. When you get a few of them like in the late 80s, look at the result!

That being said, there might be none of those players in a draft year. or not realistic to get to the position to draft that kind of player. I get it. Also how good are your scouts, how good is your judgement (Beane I'm speaking to you) comes into the equation. I suppose they can look back, and say 2 years ago, scout A and I believed player X is that kind of player before the draft, where is X now in the league, to kind of gauging your judgement ability to go for the next one in the coming draft or not. Sounds like Beane has been involved in the McCaffery evaluation and of course Allen decision here. So it is not like he has no experience at all.

Next level is the needs. WR is a need. S, DT are needs. You ask anyone on the Bills, those are top 3, whichever order you may have. Someone has the argument that if all talent are equal (very argument sake because hard to judge talent among different positions), which one gives you the best bang for the buck? The Bills offense has been consistently scoring around 27 points a game last couple of years which is already near historic high in NFL in general and the offense weapons, health-wise indicating they are performing near peak. A 2nd WR definitely is needed as we all see, but how much better can it be? Would a quality DT or S who can contribute to one more 3rd down stop against an opponent impacting more? That's what Beane and McDermott will decide. We don't know the details of the plays like how many times they evaluated the 2nd WR was not doing his job vs how many times a DT or S is not doing his job this past season.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    That is what I’ve been preaching as to why Kelce beat us. Just one of Milano or Bernard were healthy, we would have beaten them…and then Baltimore. ****ing sucks.
    Maybe.

Milano has been beat by Kelce LOTS of times. Bernard has played against the Chiefs only once, this season in week #14 win and it was his worst game of the season (graded #28 of 30 by Joe B.). Yes, I agree with you that the injuries hampered the Bills a LOT for that game, but, despite the challenges, they were in a PERFECT POSITION to win that game at the 2 min. mark.

I think the main reason the Chiefs beat us is because when giving the golden opportunity to win the game, Josh Allen screwed the pooch. (or at least did not rise to the occasion like Mahomes does so many times at the most critical moments).