Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kick the FG?

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

kick the FG?

My friend at work today told me that he thinks the Bills should have kicked the FG that would of made it 17-16 and then put the D back out there. What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,492 Times in 7,331 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: kick the FG?

I didn't have a problem going for the TD. You never know if you'll get the ball back which we ended up not doing. Take your shot to win the game when you have it.

3. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (11-11-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DetDannyWilliams View Post
    My friend at work today told me that he thinks the Bills should have kicked the FG that would of made it 17-16 and then put the D back out there. What do you guys think?
    Absolutely.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,403 Times in 13,789 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I wasn't happy with the coaching yesterday but I liked that call. There was no guarantee we would get the ball back.

And the announcer who said we should kick the FG and go for an onside kick is a moron (Wilcots I think). The chances of recovering an onside kick are far worse than converting the 4th down.

6. Post thanked by:

better days (11-11-2014),Crisis (11-11-2014),djjimkelly (11-11-2014),HAMMER (11-10-2014),Mace (11-10-2014),MikeInRoch (11-10-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,676 Times in 17,518 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Catch-22. If they score a TD...brilliant. If they kick the three, the defense holds, and get shot at another three to win...brilliant. Any combination of the above that fails? Stupidity. Coaches make their rep on fourth downs, game-deciding decisions on the backs of the execution of the players.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

8. Post thanked by:

HAMMER (11-10-2014)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You have to make that decision on first down. If you are going to go for it on 4th, then the whole playbook is in play, including runs, and you should still work short if its there. If you are going to kick, then throw for the first three times.

10. Post thanked by:

k-oneputt (11-10-2014),Mr. Pink (11-11-2014),Scumbag College (11-10-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think once we were at 4th and 15 you need to take the 3 points and go for a deep kick into the endzone. Defense holds and you use timeouts to keep enough time on the clock to get within range of another FG.

12. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (11-10-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I was yelling go for it while we were in that situation and as soon as that last ball flew, I knew it was not the right decision.

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,010 Times in 13,346 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Kick the field goal.

You certainly don't call a back shoulder toss at the goal line, not in a win or lose situation. Call a play where the QB can throw it to a guy he KNOWS is open, rather than a guy you HOPE is going to be open.
    My tebya razdavim

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hindsight is 20/20. On to the Fish.
    Bye Bye Brady...

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,509 Times in 9,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DetDannyWilliams View Post
    I honestly already thought at that point the game was lost but I was hoping for a miracle catch by Watkins. If they kicked 3, fine, if they made a 1st better, if they drew the defense offsides awesome, just please no, no penalty. Wrong answer. When all the movement happened, I thought "holy crap it worked ! We're a team of destiny !" Then the replays, and I was angry with myself for not knowing better.

Given the final choice I'd say let them live or die on merit and roll the bones on going for it. At the very least, it gives Marrone a chance to say "well, I believed in you" in the locker room after the game before putting his hands in his pockets and walking away to motivate them to not hurt his feelings for believing in them anymore.

Registered User Scumbag College's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 698 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    You have to make that decision on first down. If you are going to go for it on 4th, then the whole playbook is in play, including runs, and you should still work short if its there. If you are going to kick, then throw for the first three times.
    Agree with this and bdutton. 4th and under 5 to go you go for the first down or TD. Fourth and 10 with all of your timeouts and over 2:30 to go with the defense playing the way it was you kick the FG. My biggest problem with the management of the game was that sequence of plays from the 15 and only running 22 times with an average of 5 ypc. Ultimately the game was lost due to idiots Brown and McFumbles, but it was totally salvageable with better decisions and not inexplicably giving up on the run.
    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I KNOW !!!!!! I was yelling at the television... Kick the FG!!!! You stupidest Marrrone-!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 913 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wilcots is, in general, a moron. His commentary and analysis is terrible.

You 100% do NOT go for the FG there. Going for the TD is clearly the correct play.
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

20. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (11-11-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20. On to the Fish.
    Right, It was a gamble either way, if you don't win the game people are going ***** no matter which choice you make. forget it, it's over.

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,010 Times in 13,346 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Going for the td on 4th down was essentially disrespecting the defense, a unit that was dominating the Chiefs offense.

When you go for the FG, you say to the team that I trust the D to come up big and then trust the O to get us into FG range and I trust the kicker to make the kick.

Going for the TD and betting the whole game on a roll of the dice on ONE play says to the team that the coach doesn't trust the defense to get a three and out deep in Chiefs territory with the game on the line.

This way, the team lost and feels disrespected by the coach.

If we'd kicked the FG and still lost, at least the team knows you had their back and so will play harder for you.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Going for the TD and betting the whole game on a roll of the dice on ONE play says to the team that the coach doesn't trust the defense to get a three and out deep in Chiefs territory with the game on the line.
    I would disagree with that Spartacus. What's the difference between trying to get the ball back with the Chiefs at their 15 after a failed 4th down, or kicking off and presumably trying to get the ball back with them around their 20?

I don't see any difference. If we couldn't get the ball back as it was, it doesn't seem to me that we'd have gotten it back for another FG try.

So really, the shot for the TD was the only guarantee of getting another scoring opportunity. There was no guarantee that we'd have gotten the ball back for another FG try. A lot of people seem to assume that we automatically would have had another FG try, but that's far from true.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

At the time I wanted them to kick the field goal & I'll stand by that position, here's why:
    4th & long is a long shot to begin with. You're down 4 points. a FG gets you within 1 point where you only need a FG to win the game instead of a TD. Carpenter can hit from over 50. So you kick the field goal & kickoff with all your timeouts. Gay had been kicking touchbacks except for that squib kick, so you expect to start KC at their own 20. Since you have all your timeouts, you're expecting to get the ball back. Now all you have to do is get the ball to around KC's 35 & try the winning kick. The odds of success doing this have to be greater than 1 shot at 4th & long. The key was they had all 3 of their timeouts. Marrone coached as if they didn't have all their timeouts. If they didn't then I could see going for it on 4th & long, but 2 FGs were much more attainable when one was basically a given, than scoring a TD on 4th down, or even later if they got the ball back. They hadn't scored a TD since the opening drive.

25. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (11-11-2014)

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Moot point since we didn't stop them after we failed on fourth down. We did put the defense out there, chiefs got a first down and the game was over. The only play there was going for the TD.

27. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (11-11-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalogic View Post
    Moot point since we didn't stop them after we failed on fourth down. We did put the defense out there, chiefs got a first down and the game was over. The only play there was going for the TD.
    Exactly.