Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hackett not the Problem

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hackett not the Problem

Look this article is probably the biggest indictment I have seen against EJ, and it pains me to say that I was wrong.

Maybe it was the fact that I really liked the team Buddy Nix and Whaley had assembled and the fact that Nix was on staffs that picked Rivers and Brees consecutively so I thought he knew a thing or two about the position.

Then you get Trent Dilfer saying EJ should never have been played at this point and needs to develop, which to my credit I said that day 1 he was drafted. I wanted Kolb to start the whole season last year because I did not think EJ was ready but had physical tools you could project as a good QB.

All that aside Vic nailed it with this article

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/09...uels-benching/

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-30-2014)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,509 Times in 9,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Hackett not the Problem

I like Carucci, but I think he needs some work in modern media application and MS Paint.

4. Post thanked by:

black N yellow (09-30-2014),IlluminatusUIUC (09-30-2014),jimmifli (09-30-2014)

SpikedLemonade

Hackett is still one of the problems.

6. Post thanked by:

better days (10-03-2014),Don't Panic (09-30-2014),Fletch (10-01-2014),Mace (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,124 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, against a team with the 5th worst rush defense and the game never out of reach, Hackett calls 45 passing plays and just 22 running plays, and when the running game is averaging 4.2 YPC. Yep, Hackett is a stud.

8. Post thanked by:

Fletch (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,667 Times in 17,514 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The play calling certainly is questionable, but if EJ has been missing 'wide open receivers all over the field' that's a feather for play design in Hackett's cap. That being said, I certainly did like the middle of the field being left barren by receivers during the last drive of Sunday's game.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I counted on several occassions in teh 4 games and there are 8 and 9 guys in the box. Until we can win by passing deep we will not be able to run effectively.

This is why CJ did so well with Fitz, teams had to respect Fitz's passing ability to a point. They did not defend deep but he was so good over the middle and got ride of the ball so quick they could not load the box.

If Orton can hit on some long balls and hit these open WRs then the running game should open up even more and we will see Hackett for what he should be.

Like I said I was a huge EJ fan till I saw that.

The Watt interception one was terrible, not because he threw to jackson his primary read but because he starred their the whole time allowing Watt to anticipate the pass to jackson in the flat instead of rushing EJ. Had he looked left after the snap and then go to jackson we probably win the game.

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nope sorry, Hackett is not the only problem, but he is a major problem. EJ, and his inability to be accurate, was another problem, the OL is also a problem. That being said, Hackett is also a major part of the problem. Houston and New England are both gawd awful against the run this year. Last night, the Chiefs OC passed the Ball 26 times, and ran the **** out of the ball (I think it was something like 35 times). Why? Simple because New England is bad against the run and Jamaal Charles and that Davis kid of theirs are an amazing 1-2 punch. We played a team that can't really stop the run and decided to outsmart them by passing against them when it turns out that Houston is decent against the pass and we suck at it. Yes, we have some good receivers, however, our QBs are substandard. An occassional pass is okay, but we should be a lot more run heavy. Hackett just does not game plan well.

12. Post thanked by:

Fletch (10-01-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Yeah, against a team with the 5th worst rush defense and the game never out of reach, Hackett calls 45 passing plays and just 22 running plays, and when the running game is averaging 4.2 YPC. Yep, Hackett is a stud.
    I really don't like Hackett and agree.

I realized a flaw in my logic though last couple days, I don't have a clue if Manuel audibled out of running plays, or what the passing plays were really meant to do either if there was a real QB to execute them.

Hackett is surely a problem, but there's no way of telling how much of one, I guess I have come to think.

We'll find out pretty quick now though.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MST3KBillsfan View Post
    Nope sorry, Hackett is not the only problem, but he is a major problem. EJ, and his inability to be accurate, was another problem, the OL is also a problem. That being said, Hackett is also a major part of the problem. Houston and New England are both gawd awful against the run this year. Last night, the Chiefs OC passed the Ball 26 times, and ran the **** out of the ball (I think it was something like 35 times). Why? Simple because New England is bad against the run and Jamaal Charles and that Davis kid of theirs are an amazing 1-2 punch. We played a team that can't really stop the run and decided to outsmart them by passing against them when it turns out that Houston is decent against the pass and we suck at it. Yes, we have some good receivers, however, our QBs are substandard. An occassional pass is okay, but we should be a lot more run heavy. Hackett just does not game plan well.

Yeah but they had a QB that can make a throw on third down as Smith did time and time again last night. That was point why run against 8 or 9 in the box. We have to show we can pass to be able to run.

If you are a def coordinator you are goign to make EJ beat you not Fred and CJ, that is common sense.

Seeing the pass plays that EJ missed in 4 games not just against the Texans set this offense back in my opinion. I thought he would get better after the games started and that was not the case shame on me.

He is a great young man but was not ready to play and was over drafted, we should have sat him on the bench for 2 seasons and not played him till next year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I really don't like Hackett and agree.

I realized a flaw in my logic though last couple days, I don't have a clue if Manuel audibled out of running plays, or what the passing plays were really meant to do either if there was a real QB to execute them.

Hackett is surely a problem, but there's no way of telling how much of one, I guess I have come to think.

We'll find out pretty quick now though.
    I agree with this.

Kyle Orton is no savior but he will be respected. The advantage for us is Detroit has to go find film of him from Denver as no one has seen anything from him in years.

Actually that is probably really bad for us, lol.

16. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I like Carucci, but I think he needs some work in modern media application and MS Paint.

18. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nathaniel Hackett put his offense, and EJ Manuel in particular in plenty of positions to win all 4 games.

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,008 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nashville radio rarely talks about the Bills and they ripped EJ today, saying he's the least accurate QB in the league. ugh.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    lmao

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by imbondz View Post
    Nashville radio rarely talks about the Bills and they ripped EJ today, saying he's the least accurate QB in the league. ugh.
    Nashville radio is looking outside Nashville for a conversation on poor QB play? Hmmm....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,124 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Panic View Post
    Nashville radio is looking outside Nashville for a conversation on poor QB play? Hmmm....
    The irony.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    Hackett is still one of the problems.
    Bigtime
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

25. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MST3KBillsfan View Post
    Hackett was not particularly good at SU. In the NFL he's in well over his head.

27. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

we shall see soon enough now that there's a different qb. I know the team looked different when Thad and Tuel were in there last year even though they had way less snaps than EJ.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We're going to find out real soon how Hackett calls plays with Orton in there.

Will speak volumes.